The Tool I use to Budget for Trips - and NOT get into Debt!

https://www.vertex42.com/Files/exclusive/travel-budget.xlsx

Click the link above to download the Excel spreadsheet that I use to budget every single trip I go on. This is my travel bible... it's what I go by!
So when I'm planning out a trip, I immediately open this budget spreadsheet, and start punching in the costs of everything I'm planning. I'll start with flights (or gas if you're driving) hotel costs for the number of nights I'm planning to stay, I'll use Uber Fare Estimator to see if all the places I'm planning to go would make sense budget-wise to use ride-sharing apps or if it would make more sense to just go ahead and rent a car (don't forget parking fees at hotels and destinations!) I even look up all the restaurants I anticipate eating at, and get an idea of what I think I'll order, what my husband will order, and what our estimated final bill might be after tip. I'll punch in the costs of tickets for any entertainment we'll explore, souvenirs we might want, and any other costs we might encounter. 

Then I get my finalized total. Let's say for example, the trip I'd like to plan will cost $800 when all is said and done. I'll budget $400 for me, and $400 for my husband, and then calculate how much money I'm willing and able to put aside each week between now and when it's time to go. For this example, let's say both my husband and I are running on a tight budget... and we can only afford to put aside $50 per person out of our paychecks per week. I've now figured out that we can afford this trip after 8 weeks. So if it's early July, and I'm trying to plan this trip for September, I now know that this is more than feasible for us to save this amount and be able to afford this trip. So then I go ahead and book it! 

If the trip is $800, and we can only put aside $50 per person per week out of our paychecks, and we want to go at the beginning of August... well, we'll need to re-adjust to either plan the trip for later, or find a way to earn extra money/or be able to put aside more money to shorten the time we'll need to save. 

I hope this helps for all you travel budget planners out there!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Earn the Companion Pass on Southwest Air

Earning the Companion Pass Pt. 2: Making the Points Make Sense

How I do Disney on a Budget